Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Memorable Passage


 I believe that the most memorable passage I know is the opening paragraph of The Hobbit.

“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.”

I don’t know why, it just is. I remember first reading that passage, it was on a Sunday. My friend Ruth was reading a book so I grabbed it and read the first paragraph aloud in an odd accent. So fun, - especially her face. I asked her what the book was and she told me it was the Hobbit. Then I proceeded to requote the paragraph again (and correctly I might add). Then at school the librarians had the book on the counter for display so I picked it up and read it aloud again. Mrs. B thought it was funny and said I should read the whole book aloud for them. Then for about a month I’d requote the reading again randomly. Then before my birthday I got the book, The Hobbit and finally got to read the whole story-which was very good I might add. I guess the reason I remember it was because of the complete randomness of it and how I first read it.

1 comment:

  1. Very cute! I will be asking you to read this aloud to me now for sure... :)

    ReplyDelete